Thursday 28 May 2015

Living Area

Apartment therapy are currently hosting their annual small cool contest which is all about, as you may have guessed, small apartments that are rather cool! I have been busy and therefore haven't been perusing all of them, but I am fairly certain that I can assume  that any of the really popular choices have in common, at least, these few things:

1. their "surfaces" make sense - either because they are clean and nearly empty or perfectly curated; and
2. when you pull out one piece of furniture it is not likely to bang into another!
and just maybe, I think, there might be this thing,
3. where to reach from part of the house to another, it probably doesn't involve walking thru a maze, like this:
 as it happens, my own living area is failing these three criteria rather miserably - and I've put a badly clicked picture of my apartment below..

and while it doesn't show how wonderful, I think, my antique oak table is or my wonderful Jarrah sofa is - it does show rather well, how miserable the lighting is, the flow is, and  how untidy the surfaces is.

the solution, as it happens, isn't all that difficult - it is simply to move that green sofa upstairs, perhaps to the bedroom or the guest room, and rearrange the main lounge is a more sensible way, but somehow I've not been able to manage it.

So, on my list of things to make my living area actually liv-able, and then maybe even beautiful, I have:
1. move the chair and re-arrange furniture
2. clean surfaces - which really involves finding alternative spaces for things
3. If it makes sense, put a rug in there (or two!)
4. put up my art on the walls
5. improve the lighting - by putting multiple source lightings around the place!

No comments:

Post a Comment