Thursday 30 April 2015

Costs

Since this is the blog of my home renovation journey, the joys and the griefs - the place to put in black and white all that is taking up my thoughts at the moment so that I don't vent it out at the next person who happens to say hello - it would be rather counter productive not mention the stuff that is really taking up my mental space at the moment - the costs!*

I am of the belief that whatever needs to be done, needs to be done well - especially if I am not actually doing it, and just paying for getting it done! But costs are not always financial, a lot of the times it is patience, at others it is clarity, sometimes it is being a good communicator, or trust, sometimes it is getting advice from the right people, or a lot of people and then using your head to make sense of it all!

Now, I need to get the kitchen/living area renovated which includes basically,
- the kitchen itself,
- the appliances - including the range, oven and range-hood
- the bench top (you wouldn't believe how expensive this darn thing is!)
- the living area cupboard
- the TV island
- the flooring;

I'm not sure how much information to put out here about my finances, but basically, it is not being covered with my meagre savings; I have to get my property refinanced (which in plain English means, since the property value appreciates, you can get more loan money against it.) This would be simple enough, except my car is breaking down and I need a new one! And I don't want to compromise on what I really want, so I need to gain clarity of what I really want - because not having that clarity costs dollars, which I don't have! Right! Now, I can get car financed thru work, and to be honest, I don't particularly mind that but I don't want to be paying money that I could have not paid. That means I need to be talking to people, a lot of people and figuring out how it all adds up! But it doesn't end here - of course, it doesn't, what were you thinking (!?!) - I have a holiday planned (or two!) Did anyone tell you holidays don't come cheap? Well, they don't and I don't have too much savings, and hence I am back to the question of what on earth do I want out of my life - back to basic level clarity!!

Do realise here, I am NOT whinging, when your life's most difficult decisions involve holidays and renovations, you've got it good - you've got it excellent!! But don't tell me that if my head is going round in circles, I don't have a reason - I do and I am still tired and grateful!   





*and with that sentence, I have joined the rather illustrious company of Mr. Charles Dickens in having an opening sentence a whole paragraph long - I hope my sentence lands on its feet as well! (where I am referring to White and Strunk, I think)     

No comments:

Post a Comment