Wednesday 10 June 2015

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Talking about home, as I do on this blog, there are things in and about it for which I often find myself sending a silent prayer of thanks (or more like, they make my heart smile :), and some that when I think about it, I wonder about how I take them for granted! On the flip side, there are things in and about the apartment that I really really wish were there, but they aren't; and some that if I were to think about I believe would be awesome to come home to.
 
So here goes,
Firstly, things for which I thank the universe:

1. The birds chirping and the sunrise I get to see EVERY MORNING before I am even properly awake;
2. The sunshine and the fresh air, my apartment is North-East facing and if there is any light in the sky, I get some of it; also the genius who designed it made windows in such a way that there is no stale air around the place;
3. The double brick insulation (makes a HUGE difference);
4. The quiet and my peaceful kind neighbours;
5. My wonderful Philips light alarm - it was pricey and I had to get from the USA, but I love it beyond words. The fact that I don't have to go to bed in the dark and I don't have to wake up in the dark, and the sound alarm is also birds going nuts, basically it is simply incredible.
6. My dishwasher, Bosch and quiet :)
7. Bed heating - my bed heating is sometimes that thing that makes home, home. It has a particular feel to it, like it is just that size where I can easily sleep on it, but I can also put my feet on the cold part of the bed, if I want. So, it is perfectly sized for me.
8. Audio-books on my phone (I get them from audible) - do you like someone telling you a story as you go to bed? oh I do!! and Kindle does this incredible thing where you can read/listen to the book at the same time, absolute genius, who thinks of such amazing stuff!?! (Whoever you are, Thank You! and can you make the library on kindle a bit better? I really liked my old kindle library and I miss it! Also, does the new kindle do audio books?)
9. Bamix - oh the maker of comfort foods!! Soups, Mousse, Cold whipped coffee, tomato blended with chilly - to make any kind of sauce!
10. Phone - of course, how else would I talk to Mum while cooking and cleaning or just admiring the view while sitting in bed!

and then these are some of my most useful things, but I have come to take them for granted:

11. My washing machine, again Bosch but definitely not quiet.
12. My fridge/freezer - with canberra being as cold as it these days, I am definitely taking this one for granted
 

Thirdly, there are some things that I wish for in my apartment, often with a deep sad sigh! 

1. Heating for the bathroom - sigh, there is none;
2. Exhaust for the bathroom - loud and ineffective! thank goodness i am not too stinky;
3. This is the worst - the taps around the apartment that need an iron hand to stop dripping!
4. The hot-water system that doesn't seem to work - it runs out of water JUST before my hair is completely free of conditioner suds, I promise!
5. The complete lack of power-points, and the crisscross of extension chords all over the place!
6. No spot for bins - a bit embarrassing;
7. The ugly nude bulbs, everywhere!
8. The annoying doors that are self closing - everywhere - including bottom of the steps, try bringing in groceries, you idiotic designer! I do a mental calculation on how to move things when I shop them.
9. The bedroom doesn't look like it is mine! No spot to put the books, no art to stare at first thing in the morning, last thing at night!
10. No art in the bathroom - I really want the da-Vinci Vitruvian Man there (not just because, well, nude-handsome-man-with-a-mix-of-science-and-art-from-Italy-from-about-600-years-ago; not just because it is perhaps a self portrait of Leonardo Da Vince who was gay and vegetarian and illegitimate and Leonardo da Vinci, and by L-d-V, I mean one-of-the-most-talented-person-on-the-face-of-this-earth, like even 600 years later, is-he-for-real; but also because it makes me wonder what it means to have a meaningful life? Who is our life meaningful for? Just the kind of thoughts I would like to be thinking as I brush my teeth and start my day.    
11. A cat? sometimes I really really really wish I could bring home a cat, and call it Summer, maybe... now that Coffee is coming home, I wish there was a Summer too!

 
There are other things that I think about when I am thinking deep thoughts about my apartment, like,

1. Putting up my art
2. Having a sound-insulated spot to play a violin (badly and repetitively, in my case)
3. Properly placed book-shelf
4. The non-existent outside area that I am sure will creep to the top of the list very quickly once Coffee gets here or summer does!
 
So, if you are reading this, what's your list of the good, the bad, and the ugly?

PS, this post is inspired by another post on Apartment Therapy

No comments:

Post a Comment